Pay attention to instructions and rules.
The event has a minimum safety equipment list that should be carried by the contestant, the event organisers have the right to request that the contestant makes themselves available for random equipment checks. The contestant will have a limited time prior to race start to rectify any short falls or be disqualified from the competition.
|24.5.2018 PERJANTAI / FRIDAY|
|09.00–11.30||Numeroiden jako / Bib Pickup 160 km||Rukan tori|
|12.00||166 km LÄHTÖ / START OF 166 km||Rukan tori|
|15.00–22.00||Numeroiden jako / Bib Pickup||Rukan tori|
|Esitykset, keskustelut perjantaina|
|Avoinna||Tapahtumia lyödään lukkoon syksyn aikana||NUTS Karhunkierros kisakylä, Tykkylava (säävaraus)|
LAUANTAI / SATURDAY
|06.00||Varhaisaamiainen / Early breakfast||Scandic Rukahovi. Sisältyy majoitukseen, muille erillismaksusta - varaa ennakkoon.|
|07.00||83 km LÄHTÖ / START OF 83 km||Karhunkierroksen luontokeskus, Hautajärventie 414 Salla|
|07.30–12.00||Numeroiden jako / Bib Pickup||Rukan tori|
|10.00||55 km LÄHTÖ / START OF 55 km||Oulangan luontokeskus, Liikasenvaarantie 132 Kuusamo|
|12.30 alkaen (täsmentyy)||34 km LÄHTÖ / START OF 34 km||Juuman lomakylä Retkietappi, Juumantie 134 Kuusamo|
|21.30||Palkintojenjako / Prize ceremony||Hotelli Scandic Resort Rukahovi, After Ski -terassi|
|Kisabussit lauantaina 26.5.2018 kyydin varanneille lähtevät Rukatunturintien kääntöpaikalta (Kumpareen edestä) / Event buses for those who have prebooked from front of Kumpare shopping centre|
|05.45||Bussi 83 km lähtöön / Bus departs to 83 km start|
|08.30||Bussit 55 km lähtöön / Buses departs to 55 km start|
|11.30 alkaen||Bussit 31 km lähtöön / Buses departs to 31 km start|
Hotel Scandic Rukahovi
Address: Rukankyläntie 15, 93825 Rukatunturi
Phone: +358 8 2374 8948
Event services at the hotel or in immediate vicinity:
- Bib Pickup
- Buses to the 83, 55 and 34 km departs from Rukatunturintie 12
- The 166 km start
- Finish line
- The prize ceremony
All runners must pickup their bib numbers personally. Mandatory equipment will be checked at the bib pickup!
You will get bib number, safety pins and a route map. Additionally 83 km and 166 km will also get drop bags and aid station stickers.
Drop bags of 166 km and 83 km runners are to be left for the organisers; 166 km runners Friday before 11:30hrs and 83 km runners before Friday 21:00hrs. Please mark your bags with aid station -specific sticker where you want your drop bag taken to. Drop bags will be returned back to Ruka by 10.00hrs on Sunday morning.
In case of any questions do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com or call to +358 40 6605 280 / Eppu.
- 166 km Ruka-Hautajärvi-Ruka
- 83 km Hautajärvi-Ruka
- 55 km Oulanka-Ruka
- 34 km Juuma-Ruka
Trail follows well marked hiking path of the Karhunkierros trail and is marked with “Karhunkierros” and kilometre signs. In addition to those two, there are also orange markings on the trees. Race organisation will add some 3000 extra markings on the trail.
- Karhunkierros trail details available at Luontoon.fi
- You can download .gpx file to your GPS-device at Movescount NUTS Karhunkierros
The race map
Runners will get a map when registered for the race. Map is printed on a waterproof paper so it doesn’t need extra cover. If you like you can find more detailed map “Ruka Oulanka (Karhunkierros)” scaled to 1:50 000 from outdoor stores.
= mandatory = advisable
You must carry all the mandatory equipment from the start to finish. Mandatory equipment will be checked at the bib pickup!
Additional equipment check: 83km & 166km runners at the Oulanka aid station. Other distances will have random inspections.
Trekking poles must be carried all the way and they are not allowed in drop bags!
We give you
- Bib – must be visible on the front side of the runner, provided by the Bib Pickup, bib number does have the timing chip!
- GPS transmitter – you will get it from the Bib Pickup (available for approx. hundred runners)
- Working and fully charged mobile phone protected from water with race emergency phone number +358 40 6605 281 saved
- Elastic adhesive bandage – packed water tight (min. 6cm x 100cm)
- Water bottle or a hydration reservoir – minimum capacity of 1 litre
- Emergency blanket
- Water cup – to prevent wastage there are no disposable cups at the aid stations
- Emergency rations – at least 250kcal
- Headlamp – it will be quite light also at the night if the sky is clear, but on cloudy weather you will need a lamp for reading signs and map
- Salt – very good aid in case of stomach problems
- Blister patches, sports tape
- Toilet paper
- Waterproof shell jacket
- Poles / telescopic sticks – If you decide to use poles, they are to be carried throughout the whole race. No poles will be allowed in drop bags.
In addition 83 km
- Waterproof shell jacket (water column value min. 10000mm on Schmerber scale)
In addition 166 km
- Headlamp – it will be quite light also during the night if the sky is clear, but on cloudy weather you will need a lamp for reading the trail signs and map
- Waterproof shell jacket (water column value min. 10000mm on Schmerber scale)
We recommend to use energy gels with closable caps or to squeeze your energy gels beforehand in to small resealable bottles. Please dispose your garbage at the aid stations or the garbage bins at the Race Center.
Aid stations: Drop Bag -location
|Place||34 km||55 km||83 km||166 km||Inter||Cumul 34 km||Cumul 55 km||Cumul 83 km||Cumul 166 km||Cut Off|
|Oulangan luontokeskus||31,9||55,5||pe/fri 22.00|
|Napapiirin Huolto / Arctic Circle Aid Station||27,4||0||82,9||06.00|
Water, energy drinks, salty and sweet snacks are available at all aid stations. We have taken care of at least vegans, gluten frees and those allergic to chocolate at all aid stations. Please make sure you have informed us from possible allergies on registration.
There are toilets here and there along the way but please bring your own toilet paper in case that it has ran out.
Drop bags: 166 km runners can send drop bags to Hautajärvi and Oulanka where 83 km runners can send drop bag to Oulanka. You must bring your bags to the Bib Pickup in advance; 166 km Friday before 11.30 hrs and 83 km runners NLT 21.00hrs. Please mark your bags clearly with your name, bib number and also with the name of the aid station you want your drop bag taken to. Drop bags will be returned back to Ruka by 10.00hrs on Sunday morning. No poles will be allowed in drop bags.
Use of external aid is only allowed at Aid Stations.
Excessive gear and clothing needed by 83 km runners: In case you need any extra gear or clothing at Hautajärvi starting point, race organiser will transfer them back to Ruka. Kindly mark your belongings properly with your name and a bib number; loose jackets and/or pants might get dirty so pack all items that are to be transferred to plastic bags etc.
The most common problems are blisters, abrasions, injuries caused after falling and fatigue after running out of energy and dehydration. There is always a risk of hypothermia after your speed gets slow or you must stop. Prepare yourself so that you can help yourself and get to an aid station or to the nearest shelter. It is absolutely mandatory to help others in need. If any of the fellow runners seem to have troubles please ask his/her condition.
In a case of emergency during the run please call to the race’s emergency duty phone.
You must carry a mobile phone in case for any help (for you or for fellow runners). Race organiser can also call you to ask for help for other runners or to check your status. Even tough everything is OK with you when emergency duty number calls – please answer!
If you decide to quit, please do so only at the aid stations from where you will be guided to the nearest road for a pick up. Note out that even if you did quit, you may have to walk several kilometres to reach the transportation. If you are not able to move, evacuation will be carried out by a rescue helicopter through National Emergency Services. Prepare for several hours of waiting!
In case of serious accidents call public emergency number 112 first and ask for help. After that, contact the race’s emergency duty phone +358 40 6605 281 – you can find your coordinates from the kilometer signs of the trail!
Participants must take care of their own insurance policy.
- There is a chance that there’s still some snow at national park and rivers might be flooding! Please pay extra attention when crossing rivers or streams.
- Even on May, temperature might go down to zero degrees or below.
- Please be extra careful when crossing roads.
- If you decide to drink from the streams or rivers it is on your own responsibility!
- The route runs through the Oulanka National Park so you must stay on the trail!
- Littering is absolutely prohibited!
- If you decide to discontinue it is only possible at the Hautajärvi, Oulanka, Juuma and Konttainen -aid stations.
- The trail is demanding because of steep ups and downhills, slippery roots, muddy areas and stones.
- Crossing suspension bridges should be done one by one at the walking pace.
- In a case of sprained ankle remember RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
- Remember to drink enough and do not forget electrolytes.
- All the runners and their actions will make the race safe for everyone! Be safe and take care of your fellow runners.
Light snack is available at the finishing area until midnight. Also available at finishing area are some palju’s (hot baths) of which we expect participants to follow basic hygiene standards. Showers are available at designated area elsewhere.
Prize giving will start at 21:30 at restaurant Rukahovi. Further entertainment will continue after the prize giving.
Runner can be disqualified if
- Unethical behaviour
- Using external aid outside of the aid stations
- Not helping fellow runners in need
- Missing compulsory gear. Race steward may carry out inspections along the route to check your equipment.
- Taking the short cut
- Not visiting all of the aid stations
- Cut offs
Finishing line will be closed on Saturday at 24:00
166 km = 36h (Hautajärvi; cut off 18 h)
The organiser reserves the right to make changes. Please follow this page for additional information.